Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Why This Title?

Why a cup of coffee with God? Does that seem a bit informal? Let me explain it from the perspective of my life story.

From the time I was small, I remember watching my father take his first cup of strong, black coffee out to the back porch. He would sit there in the early morning hours, quietly watching the world come to life. I asked him once why he did this. His answer was simply, "Well Nudnik (his private pet name for me), I just like to have my first cup of coffee with God."

Somehow that made sense to me. I was eleven at the time and since I had started school, the nuns had been teaching us that we could have a personal relationship with God. They taught us that God loved us and wanted to be a friend to us. At the same time, we were learning to confess our sins, which were offending to God, and we were also learning the structured prayers. In my young mind, this seemed like a very strange way to be friends.



But a cup of coffee got me thinking. I watched my parents take their after-dinner coffee outside on the porch or at the dining room table, hold hands and quietly talk about what had happened during the day. That was an image I could understand and relate to very well. As I grew older and found close adult friendships myself, it was an image I cherished.

Thus the beginning of the most beautiful friendship began to unfold before me. This was not only THE GREAT I AM but the same Father that calls me his Beloved Daughter. I am so overflowing with His love for me that I have to share it with the world.

3 comments:

Barb W said...

Chris - It is so giving of you to share your innermost feelings about your relationship with God and also about your life. You may never know how these musings will affect those who access your blog. May God continue to pour out graces upon you and all those you love.

God Bless --

Barb W.

Anonymous said...

Communicating with our God over a cup of coffee is a great way of spending time with Him. Your blog will serve to communicate the Lord's Good Works to others and only the Lord knows what doors He will open for you for doing His work! Remember, Jesus Loves You asdI!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Christine for sharing your blog with me. I will be sure to check this out often to see how your Fourth Day is going.

Peace,
"Tinker Bell"